around Huntsville, Alabama
Huntsville is located in north central Alabama, near the Tennessee
border. It's about a 2 hour drive from Nashville, Birmingham,
or Chattanooga. Atlanta's about 4 hours away, but there aren't
really in roads between the two. For more information, check out
the pages for the Huntsville
Chamber of Commerce Guide to Huntsville.
This is a listing of groups for people who like to dance socially.
Huntsville has a ton of ballet groups and dance schools. I make
no attempt to list all those!
- North Alabama Country Dance Society
- Old-Time Country Dances, including contras, circles, and
Appalachian Squares. Regular dances on the odd Saturdays (that
is, first, third, and fifth if applicable) of each month at Faith
Presbyterian Church, on the corner of Whitesburg and Airport.
Also host a yearly dance weekend. This kind of dancing is easy
to pick up, but tons of fun.
- The Cajun / Zydeco Connection
- is an organization formed to teach and promote Cajun and
Zydeco dance in the Huntsville area. Hosts dances, workshops,
and special events.
- Huntsville Swing Dance
- Occasionally hosts dances with live bands. Offer beginning
and intermediate instruction. Call Paul
Wieland at 539-8976 for more info.
- Best list of what's going on in the area in swing is Heather's
newsletter. E-mail her
to get on the list.
- The Beledi
Club of Huntsville
- The Beledi Club of Huntsville, AL was founded in 1976 to
provide fellowship and to teach the art of Middle Eastern Dance.
They work hard to see the dance is exhibited as an art, and presented
with elegance and dignity. The club offers the residents of the
Tennessee valley a unique opportunity to learn and appreciate
the art of belly dance with local classes and performances.
- The Dance
- The Dance Club is a nonprofit ballroom dance organization
whose web page provides a description of ballroom dance clubs
in Huntsville, as well as a schedule of dances and a list of
places to dance.
- Our Generation
- is a nonprofit dance organization formed to attract Baby
Boomers to participate in ballroom and social dancing. Dances
are typically held once a month Music is pre-recorded and includes
Rock, Latin, Disco, Cajun/Zydeco, Nouveau Country, Light Sounds
and Ballroom. Mixer dances and Dance Demos are also featured.
The dances are held at the Knights of Columbus Hall on Leeman
Ferry starting at 7:30 pm.
Valley Scottish Country Dancers
- Contains about 20 members from Huntsville, North Alabama,
and Southern Tennessee. TVSCD dances, as well as performs at
numerous Tennessee Valley Scottish Society functions, arts festivals,
and other community functions. For information, contact Bryan
McPherson at (615)881-1497.
for Creative Anachronism (SCA) Renaissance Dance
- Dances each Tuesday night at the Stokes Community Center
at 7:00PM. Call (256)464-9867 for information.
Go back to Contra Dancing in the Mid-South
Bryan Walls, firstname.lastname@example.org,
4304 Holmes Ave. Huntsville, AL 35816